Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kylee's Tonsil Surgery

Last Friday Kylee got her tonsils and adenoids removed. It was the dreaded day for 3 weeks prior that I was extremely nervous about. Infact the day of the surgery I took my blood pressure and it was 140/103 (if you know me I am struggling with my blood pressure so it could be high but this was really high since I got regulated). So I was stressed. Only by the coverage of prayer do I feel I made it through the surgery part. We woke Kylee up early on Friday so she could have some clear liquids before surgery. Her surgery was scheduled for 11 so she got to have that before 8 am. She was in the best mood ever. Some of our sweet friends put a fun basket together that I let her go through that morning so she would enjoy it and she was beside herself with excitement. That basket has been a lifesaver these last 5 days. I felt so bad knowing that her great mood and happiness would be over after surgery. She stayed happy all morning never acting scared or hesitant, again covered with prayer. So we left our house around 9 to take Katie to my moms and then we were at the surgery center by 10 a.m. We filled out our paper work and they called us back by 10:30. They gave her giggle juice to take the edge off and at 10:45 she left us, by far one of the hardest parts of the morning. I held it together. Had my iphone to play with. Then by 11:15 they called us back to a conference room to talk to the doc. He came in said she did great and we could see her shortly. While we were waiting in the room we heard a child crying so hard, Charley and I both know our babies cry and could barely control ourselves. Even typing this makes me tear up. They came and told us she was coming out of the anesthesia and having a hard time and they would come get us in a little while. I seriously almost lost it but again covered with prayer. I waited 5 more minutes and they took us to see her. It was a sad sight. She was out of it and crying and hurting. They gave her pain meds and she slept off and on and drank sips of sprite. She really was struggling with nauseousness too and did throw up once before we left. Thanks to my sister in law who used to work here they treated us so sweet and were extra kind to Kylee so we really did have a great experience. We were out of there and home by 1:30. Kylee slept and ate tiny bites of ice cream, shakes, and eggs that day and watched movies. She really didn't feel like doing much that day. Then Saturday she really was doing well. I was happy with her eating and she wanted to play games and do craft projects really all day. Then Sunday and Monday were pretty tough days with pain but today really does seem better. We were all pretty tired considering we have been giving pain meds around the clock even in the middle of the night. Kylee has been waking up around 6-7 in pain each morning but by afternoon even on the worst days she seemed better. Two things we didn't expect that she has struggled with are ear pain and constipation. We know both are related to the surgery and pain meds:( Kylee's foods of choice these 5 days have been eggs, can chicken, ice cream, brownies, mac and cheese, and grilled cheese. Her drink choices have been Gatorade, vitamin water, slushies, milk shakes, and koolaid. This child has consumed more junky stuff in these 5 days than in a whole month. Oh well, she is recovering. I am still very thankful we went through with the surgery and I am so hopeful that her health long term will be great because of it. As for Katie she enjoyed spending the weekend with my sister and then Monday with my mom. We got her officially back from my mom before nap on Monday and we were happy to all be back together. One funny Katie story: When she got home I was talking to her about Kylee's surgery and how they had to take something out of her mouth called tonsils and she looked at me and said, "Does she still have a tongue?" I laughed so hard and assured her she did:) Also, I only took pictures and really documented this for Kylee to remember so one day if her children have this she can show them her experience and empathize with them. I got my tonsils out at 19 and it was horrible. This has made me glad we did this now for Kylee and she will not remember too much from it. Thanks for the prayers and keep them coming for a full recovery! The first picture below is right before surgery and she had just drank the giggle juice she was feeling good!






















post signature

4 comments:

Kendra said...

Brave little Kylee girl! So glad you are past the worst part for sure. There is nothing worse than knowing your baby is in pain..and not being able to do anything about it. I'll give her a big hug next time I see her (and one for you, too, mama!!)

Traci said...

I'm so glad to see this update. I din't know she was having surgery until you posted it on facebook. I understand your fears, except I had them for myself! I know it's different than your child, but still it so scary.

I remember the summer your had your surgery, after your freshmen year, right? You talked about how hard it had been. Hopefully Kylee won't remember much and will be so healthy from here on out.

We will continue to pray for her and you guys too! I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Whitney said...

What a brave little girl- glad she is recovering well! I had my tonsils out when I was little too- so I can sympathize with your sweetheart!

Alyssa said...

Sweet Kylee! I hope the worst is now behind her. We sure love that little girl!