Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Katie Broke Her Arm

I am so far behind on all of our October happenings and this is not one of my favorite happenings but I really wanted to document our adventure with a broken arm. Two weeks ago around 7:15 on Wednesday morning I was doing Kylee's hair for school and all of a sudden I heard the weirdest noise and then a scream like I have never heard before come from Katie. I literally dropped the hairbrush and ran into the living room and found Katie on the floor between our two couches. I thought she had tripped and fallen because when I left she was watching Arthur and eating a muffin. So I picked her up and she was crying very hard and weird. So I lifted her back to ask what was wrong and she pointed to her arm. I looked at it and immediately saw it was broken. I really have chills when I think about how it looked. Then my spazzing out started. I really don't know if I have ever cried, screamed, panicked that much as a mom yet over something. I start screaming KYLEE, KATIE BROKE HER ARM WHAT DO I DO!!!! (sidenote: Charley is in Las Vegas at this moment at a work conference) Kylee picks on me now mocking how I was acting. It is quite funny now but not at the moment. Anyway, Thankfully my good friend Amber lives one street over so she and Tom and her family came over to get the big girls to school and I had to get dressed (I was still in PJs ) and I couldn't put Katie down. Katie had calmed down but was turning pale and not doing good (hence more spazz out). I called Charley and told him calmly we were heading to the ER and he asked if I was really sure it was broken. I assured him it was. It was VERY obviously broken. I also called my mom and she was on her way to go to the ER with us. Amber put Katie in the car and off we went. Of course it was rush hour and Cooks is not super close to my house. The whole way there Katie is in and out of sleep and pale. I start to panic about it. She was in obvious pain. We got to the ER and thankfully saw us right away (the lobby had tons of masked people and I said we are well and will not wait in there). They used the word deformed to describe her arm in triage which was true. We got back real quick and had the best staff ever. They loved Katie and said she was the best kid they had seen all day and were amazed at how good she was. She really never cried. They put IVs in, gave pain meds, did xrays, and determined she had broken her ulna and radius. They sent us to the ortho surgeon to be put under to have it set. They surgery nurse told us they had heard what a great kid Katie was and bragged on her. Katie loved this. So thankful for this just didn't plan on having my child put under that day for the first time esp when my hubby is not here to help with the decisions. So I left the surgery room and my mom and I waited 20 minutes and they came and got us and Katie was out of it but doing good and sporting a pink cast. We left about an hour later and came home about the same time as Charley got home. She has done really well and is having fun showing off her now purple cast. We have 4 weeks to go and this will be behind us. I felt so covered by prayer the day this happened and very thankful for friends and family. We are blessed.









The day after Katie broke her arm was PJ day at preschool and she was so upset to miss it. I took her up for about an hour and she was very happy about that. This last picture is her at chapel on PJ day.

post signature

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my, that must have been scary for all 3 of you. So glad she did so well at the ER!

shack said...

Lana, Sooo sorry you had to go through that all by your self! But thankful you did have good friends and great caring medical staff to get you through it! It always seems that the "craziest" things do happen when daddies go out of town...at least that's what I remember too, even from my own childhood.

I must admit after all my years as a Pediatric ER nurse...the one thing that can make me cringe in a minute...A deformed extremity! She sounds like she was a trooper and this will be a memory that she won't remember...the way you did anyway!
Love ya! Glad she is doing better.
Wendy

Amy McCown said...

I am glad that she did so well. I can only imagine how scary that had to have been for you.

Traci said...

Oh my, Lana! I'm sorry sorry you all had to go through this, especially with Charley gone. I'm so glad to hear that all is well. Did you ever find out what she was doing when she fell?