Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 30, 2008

First Attempt

UPDATE on 7/2/08--
As of today, Katie is doing awesome not sucking her thumb. I also found something she likes more than sucking her thumb.....SKITTLES!!!!! I told her everytime I catch her not sucking her thumb I will give her a skittle. It is really amazing. If she even starts to suck her thumb she has been telling on herself and does a dramatic quick flip of her thumb out of her mouth. So into day 3 we are successful. I really hope she is breaking the habit.


Today, June 30, marks my first attempt to get Katie to stop sucking her thumb during the day. She has really gotten bad about having her thumb in her mouth and twirling her hair all day except when she is touching something else. So Today I started telling her to stop and she was actually getting it and would stop, she even caught herself a couple times and jerked her hands down. It could be a flop but I am really feeling like we can do it. I'll give an update on how we are doing.

post signature

4 comments:

Kara said...

When I was her age, my mom was trying to get me to stop knawing on my fingernails all day.

She found that if I carried a stuffed animal around it didn't happen.

So maybe a special stuffed animal or small purse that she carries everywhere will distract her and make her feel more grown up.

With Krista, we just had to wait it out and she was still sucking her thumb at night until she was 7.

Good luck...

Traci said...

Keep us posted! I hope it's that easy! She is soooo cute with that thumb in her mouth! You can paint her fingernails if she stops. Traci

Susie said...

Hi Lana,

I'm a distant relative and I've tagged you. Robin in Ar is my cousin if that helps any.

Monica said...

Good luck friend. I will say, I don't think I will recommend the Skittle trick to my patients. So glad it works for Miss Katie, but it just doesn't seem like advice you should get at the dentist. I am with her on the Skittles. They are in my top 3 favorite candies!! I will call you tomorrow. I got your message today.